Re: PHP fails to install on Ubuntu 12.10. What's going on?

    Remember to hit reply-all, Andy, so it goes to the list as well as
the previous author.

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 2:49 PM, Andy McKenzie <amckenzie4@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 2:29 PM, Daniel Brown <danbrown@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Chris Bergstresser <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Hi all --
>>>
>>>    I've got a cloud server on Rackspace.  If I bring up a fresh Ubuntu
>>> 12.10 machine image, and type "apt-get install php5" it seems to
>>> install fine.  But if I then type "php -version" I get "PHP Parse
>>> error:  syntax error, unexpected end of file in Command line code on
>>> line 1".
>>>
>>>    What went wrong?  How can I fix it?
>
> I'm pretty sure the php5 package in ubuntu doesn't include the cli
> client.  Try adding apt-get install php5-cli (or whatever they're
> calling the package these days) and see if the version command works
> then.  Also, you may need a second hyphen before the word version.

    Yes, it would be php5-cli, but since he's getting the response
from PHP (parse error) and not the environment saying the command
isn't found, it shows he's got the CLI installed.  Ubuntu is actually
really helpful with a lot of that, too, since - if it can't find the
command - it'll suggest packages from APT to install which match the
command given.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
Network Infrastructure Manager