Re: PHP fails to install on Ubuntu 12.10. What's going on?

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Chris Bergstresser <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all --
>
>    I've got a cloud server on Rackspace.  If I bring up a fresh Ubuntu
> 12.10 machine image, and type "apt-get install php5" it seems to
> install fine.  But if I then type "php -version" I get "PHP Parse
> error:  syntax error, unexpected end of file in Command line code on
> line 1".
>
>    What went wrong?  How can I fix it?

    Not only is that extremely vague, but it's possibly more of an
issue with Ubuntu's repo than PHP itself.  Nonetheless, try this and
reply to the list with the output of each:

        php -v
        php -r 'echo phpversion().PHP_EOL;'
        php -nv

    Also, while it does work with PHP, note that, with a few
exceptions such as `find`, *NIX CLI short options (single dash)
generally expect a single character, while long options
(double-dashes) take longer strings.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
Network Infrastructure Manager