redefine a define ...

I know the response that I will get on the internals list, so I'll put this one past readers here ...

I've just switched to overhauling a commerce package extension to the framework that I'm upgrading to be E_STRICT complaint, and I've hit a little snag. The original designers took the approach of doing the language translations as define() constants with your just selecting the language to load. The problem comes with the fact that they load a generic file, and then follow it by additional defines for more accurate text ... overloading the generic copy ...

What I was not expecting was a string of 'Notices:' complaining about the redefines. So how does one get around this message? One can't 'if defined' as the string needs to be replaced with the more appropriate one. I would say, why is this even a problem, or alternatively I just give up on E_STRICT and make sure it's disabled again on PHP5.4?

Having spent several months getting the code clean on E_STRICT, switching it off again will really pig me off, but I can't see any real alternative given the number of languages and strings that will need reworking simply to get things clean :(

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL