Re: away from Fedora linux for a while and now this ...HELP

Am 25.08.2012 13:04, schrieb Matijn Woudt:
On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 1:54 AM, Sebastian Krebs <krebs.seb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am 25.08.2012 01:41, schrieb Fred Silsbee:

Warning:  Unknown: failed to open stream: Permission denied in Unknown on
line 0

Fatal error:  Unknown: Failed opening required
'/var/www/html/log_book_MySQL.php'
(include_path='.:/usr/share/pear:/usr/share/php') in Unknown on line 0

had to use Fedora yumex(yum) to install php

PHP Version 5.4.5 is seen in phpinfo
before now,  php was there and ready after Fedora install

Hi,

I guess you created the file yourself (with your user account) and want to
watch it within your browser via your webserver? The last one usually runs
under the "www-data:www-data" (debian. Guess Fedora takes it similar)
user:group. So, either change the owner, or change the permissions.

An example

| chmod g+rw /var/www/html/log_book_MySQL.php
| chown www-data:www-data /var/www/html/log_book_MySQL.php

and add yourself to the group www-data. Don't know, how it can be done in
Fedora. Debian uses usermod, but as far as I know it's a debian tool(?).

Regards,
Sebastian

I don't use Fedora, but I doubt that would be necessary. All files
created by a user account have read rights for world, atleast on all
the Unix servers/PCs I maintain.

This depends on the umask. One may come to the conclusion to secure a system by setting a more restrictive umask (which is at all not that bad idea) and then some days/weeks/months later he realizes, that something stoped working. Changing the umask is useful, if you have many different users and you want them to be more separated from each others.

Maybe it's just a typo? Linux is case sensitive, so make sure the file
is really called log_book_MySQL.php, and not log_book_MYSQL.php for
example..

Good point too :D

- Matijn