Re: What do you call the end-user?

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Tedd Sperling <tedd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi gang:
>
> I can't wait for tomorrow -- so here's my off-topic post today.
>
> First question:
>
> What do you call the people who ultimately use your code?

It all depends on where and how my code is ultimately used. If it is
code that someone sitting at a browser making requests that end up
running code I wrote, they are a user, or where there needs to be
clarification, and end user.

> I call them the "end-user", but others have stated other terms, such as "customer" or "user".

Again, it sort of depends on the disposition of the code I wrote. In
any case, "customer" to me implies some sort of delivery possibly for
remuneration. Customers tend to be singular for any given package (not
meaning exclusive) and some kind of contract is held between us.

I don't run any commercial sites for my own benefit, otherwise the
term customer might expand to people buying or trading things with me
via that site, in which case those customers become a subset of end
users as well.

Isn't this fun?

In the case where I'm developing a portion of a product that another
developer may pick up an use in application, they are "using" my code,
but are definitely quite distinct from an end-user or a customer.
Sometimes they might be called a "partner", but not always.

> Second question:
>
> Are you concerned with their ("whomever") experience in using your code?

All those various constituents have needs whom I may wish to address.
The end-user, obviously has need to be able to transact their business
in as easy a fashion as possible, and being able to trust the chain of
software and hardware that will carry out those wishes. The customer
needs to be able to trust in the product or service they are buying,
but equally, to be able to understand and navigate whatever process is
in place for our transaction. And the development partner, as well,
needs to be able to trust that the package I'm producing is documented
well enough, and it is clear and as easy as possible to integrate with
their own software.

> This question transcends your code working correctly, accurately, and securely -- no need to comment on those aspects. But rather more specifically do you consider how easily your "whomever" can use your work efforts?
>
> As you may have guessed - I just attended a UX conference and they provide an interesting perspective on UX. I was wondering how php developers typically address the subject.

This sort of thing is not only applicable to UX needs, but to many
other areas as well. It's also not limited to any particular
interface, but how that interface changes and evolves over time, and
it's responsiveness to the various constituents' needs.