Re: difference PEAR PECL

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Matijn Woudt <tijnema@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is this really the recommended way on distros' which package the pecl packages?
> It seems to me it would be better to use the distros' version, so it
> has the required patches (if any) for them to work correctly on the
> distro, and they get upgraded automatically with the system updates.
> What is the advantage of using the pecl tool?

    Using `pecl` will get you the most recently-published version.
Using a distro's repo requires your distro's package management teams
to actually be on top of things.  And, in the sad majority of cases,
it's simply not the way things are right now.  Using `pecl` will build
it from source using your installed API version and so forth.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
Network Infrastructure Manager