Re: Creating drop-down menus

On Jul 16, 2012, at 4:16 PM, Ramiro Barrantes <ramiro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am making an application using PHP/Javascript/mysql and had a question.
>
> Sometimes I need to use javascript to fill a drop down box based on the value of a previous drop down box.  However, the information to fill the latter is stored in mysql and can be a lot, what I have been doing is that, using PHP, I create hidden fields with all the possible information that might be needed to fill the second drop down.
>
> For example, the user chooses a bank from a drop down, and then a list of clients is displayed on the following drop down.  I use PHP to read all clients from all the banks and put that as hidden fields on the html page.  It is very cumbersome.
>
> I do not want to read the database (which changes dynamically) from javascript directly due to confidentiality and because a lot of care has been taken to create the appropriate  queries with checks and protect misuse of the information using PHP.
>
> My questions are:
> 1) Do people just normally use hidden fields to store possible information to fill the drop downs?
> 2) any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ramiro

Ramiro:

The subject line of "Creating drop-down menus" is misleading -- here is what a "drop-down menu" is:

http://sperling.com/examples/new-menuh/
http://sperling.com/examples/menuh/

And similarly, a "fly-out menu":

http://sperling.com/examples/menuv/

What you are describing is simply a self-updating selection control, like this:

http://php1.net/a/zipcode-states/

The description and code is there.

To the PHP gang:

As for the discussion re jQuery and such, there's no need -- it was not used in this demo. IOW, no jQuery was harmed. I am not against jQuery, on the contrary I think it's great, but it's not always needed for client-side functionality. As I see it, there is no need for a sledgehammer to drive a thumb tack.

Please realize that all controls (input, textarea, options, selections, checkboxes, radio buttons, multi-options, etc.) can be handled this fashion. This is not your father's limited server-side php, but rather a coupling of both server-side and client-side languages to provide a more desktop-application-like user experience.

Cheers,

tedd