Re: Thinking out loud - a continuation...

[snip]
a necessary part of building the structure. It can be removed but only as a post process. Why does it have to be removed? You can loop through the structure in JavaScript without paying heed to the key's value.

> If it absolutely must go... you need to recurse through the final structure replacing each "children" entry with the results of passing it through array_values().
[/snip]

Unfortunately the user of the JSON will not make a change to their app. I have looked through the JSON to confirm that this has a particular pattern so I think I can just do a little regex and get it squared away. This is one of "those" projects. It is apparently going to be trying every step of the way.