Re: Connect to Google

On Thu, 2012-02-16 at 14:47 -0500, John Taylor-Johnston wrote:

> Can I use PHP to interface with Google? Any possible examples of this?
>
> Let's start with the first step. :)
>
> I'm sure proprietary sites like http://www.compilatio.net/ for example connects to search engines. They cannot be crawling the net too. That would be crazy.
>
> (I'm a top quoter. It's more intuitive.)
>
> Thanks Ash.
>
> John
>

> Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> > On Wed, 2012-02-15 at 21:56 -0500, John Taylor-Johnston wrote:
> >> How can I use PHP to interface with Google and see if this text exists
> >> on the internet?
> >>

> > Wow, that's a pretty big project you're chewing there. A quick search
> > shows that there are some project out there to detect plagiarism, but
> > I think for university calibre there's a hefty sum of money required.

It might seem more intuitive to you, but it really, really screws up the
archives.

Like I said before, cURL is the way to "interface" with Google.
Basically, cURL can be used to request resources, in this case a web
page, from the web. You can call a URL and parse the page of results to
determine whatever you need to. As you've not really hashed out any firm
ides of what exactly you want, it's a little difficult to say exactly
what you need to do.

--
Thanks,
Ash