Re: What is the mnemonic for date()'s Day format?

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 22:51, Matijn Woudt <tijnema@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been wondering where the letter was chosen from too, so I took
> svn and got all the way back to revision 214 where the options was
> first added. Note that this commit is June 7, 1996, and we're talking
> about php2 (php/fi) here. I tried to look at mailing list archives,
> but it seems that rasmus was pretty much developing PHP on it's own in
> those days.
> It seems that it has been added when cookie support was added, and for
> the cookie to set a date they wanted a nicely printed day. It seems to
> be just a choice from rasmus back in those days.
> My best guess would be that the 'l' is chosen because it is the last
> letter of 'full' in 'full name of day', though I don't understand why
> 'f' or 'F' wasn't chosen.
>
> Well, try remembering the 'l' in 'full' if you need it the next time..;)

You are some sleuth! Let me know first if you ever have any dirt on me, Matijn!

Thank you for the mnemonic "full". I'll know next week if it sticks or
not. Though, I already foresee myself trying to use "f"!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com