Re: Headers on smart phone browsers

On Feb 6, 2012, at 4:01 PM, Stuart Dallas wrote:
> Generally speaking you're better off with a design that automatically adapts to the viewport on which it's being displayed. While there's more than one reason for this, the overriding reason is that the same software (i.e. the same user agent) could be running on any size of device, from watch to huge flat panel screen on a wall.
>
> I think the world needs to move on from "is it a mobile device or not" to accepting the reality which is that the browser / OS is irrelevant, and that the way your site renders should be purely based upon the size of the display. Responsive designs such as that described in the A List Apart article Mari posted are fantastic tools for achieving this goal.
>
> -Stuart

Agreed. Not only the size of the display -- but what's a size of a pixel?

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/a-pixel-identity-crisis/

Presentation is a difficult problem to solve, but I don't think PHP enters into the equation. From my view, the only thing that PHP can do is device-sniff, which is clearly a losing proposition.

I believe that a presentation solution will be solved by presentation languages (i.e, client-side).

Cheers,

tedd