Re: Headers on smart phone browsers

On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 09:01:45PM +0000, Stuart Dallas wrote:

> On 6 Feb 2012, at 05:58, Paul M Foster wrote:
>
> > This is sort of obliquely related to PHP.
> >
> > I don't have a smart phone, but I need to know a couple of things:
>
> There are simulators available for most smartphones.
>
> > 1) Do smart phones use the same browsers as the desktop, or do they
> > have their own stripped down versions of browsers?
>
> The trend is certainly moving towards full desktop capability, but
> personally I still think that if you expect a significant amount of
> traffic from mobile devices then your site should adapt accordingly.
>
> > 2) When a browser broadcasts its header telling the server what kind
> > of browser is involved, do they broadcast anything in the header to
> > indicate that they're being run on a smart phone?
>
> Yes, but there's no standard at the moment so detection requires
> something similar to https://gist.github.com/1124666. That code is
> pretty old, and I can't remember where I got it, but at the time it
> worked really well.
>
> > 3) Bonus question: Is there a preferred method amongst coders to
> > determine what type of environment is being browsed from, so as to
> > serve up the proper type of page (desktop or smart phone version of
> > a webpage)?
>
> Generally speaking you're better off with a design that automatically
> adapts to the viewport on which it's being displayed. While there's
> more than one reason for this, the overriding reason is that the same
> software (i.e. the same user agent) could be running on any size of
> device, from watch to huge flat panel screen on a wall.
>
> I think the world needs to move on from "is it a mobile device or not"
> to accepting the reality which is that the browser / OS is irrelevant,
> and that the way your site renders should be purely based upon the
> size of the display. Responsive designs such as that described in the
> A List Apart article Mari posted are fantastic tools for achieving
> this goal.

I'm inclined to agree.

In fact, my daughter, who owns an iPhone, hates the mobile-only webpages
and will normally opt to see the full (desktop) website, even on her
iPhone. She'd rather gesture around the original website than see a
vastly simplified version with everything vertically stacked, as it
often is on strictly mobile sites.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster