Re: Phone numbers....

On Sun, 2011-07-31 at 16:18 -0400, Jason Pruim wrote:

> On Jul 31, 2011, at 4:14 PM, Alex Nikitin wrote:
>
> > There are databases with area codes for the first 3, so you only have to generate 1 million. Why do you need to store all of them again?
> >

> I don't necessarily need to store it... BUT I do need to be able to represent all the numbers somehow... The site is a "Find out who called me and why" type of site... So some of the numbers will have comments on them other won't... But I need to be able to show all the possibilities so they can add their comment to it....
>
> Unless I grab the area code, the first 3 of the phone number, and then just randomly generate the last 4? Might be a little easier that way.... And then only store it once they comment on it...

You could just store the number as and when it gets entered. However,
have you checked on the legal ramifications of this? What you're doing
is essentially storing information which can identify an individual
(more so than a name, as names are very rarely unique) There may be
issues with doing this on numbers that are marked as unlisted, as this
is often a premium service people pay for purposely to prevent their
number appearing on such listings.

For many people, a phone number is far more private than an email
address. Most people wouldn't think twice about entering their email
address into any old blog/forum/social site, but would have great
reservations about doing so with their phone number.

--
Thanks,
Ash