Re: phpsadness

On 3 June 2011 17:36, Stuart Dallas <stuart@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Peter Lind <peter.e.lind@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > I'm guessing no one with an actual sense of humor.
>> >
>> > I suspect most people snickered at the joke and admired the chutzpah it
>> > took to post it.
>> >

>> Admiring people that insult an entire religion? Really, it does not take
>> chutzpah, it just takes ignorance or stupidity to do something like that.
>> Nothing admirable about it.
>
> There's everything admirable about it. Religion is not special, and does not
> deserve any special treatment when it comes to critical comment. I can say
> anything I want about a particular political party and that's ok, but I
> can't express an opinion about a particular religion because it may cause
> offence?

Tedd's comment suggested that muslims are suicide bombers. That's not
a comment on religion, that's an insult to a large group of people.
Learn to tell the difference.

> And that's not to mention the fact that tedd's comment is a fact - more than
> a few people have detonated in the name of their religion, and chances are
> that if someone does detonate themselves it will be in the name of their
> religion.

And the vast majority of religious never have, nor never will detonate
in the name of religion. Yet they are being targeted and put to hate
just the same - then afterwards told to shut up and not feel offended.

> He didn't imply that everyone who follows that religion would do
> the same, but that's the only interpretation I can think of that would cause
> offence, so surely the offence is in the interpretation not the actual
> words.

Ahh, I see, that's why he wrote "Praise Jesus" and not "Alaho Akbar" -
he really didn't mean to say anything about muslims or islam as a
whole, he only wanted to comment on religion in an abstract way.

> Offence, like all things, is in the eye of the beholder. If something
> offends you, take responsibility for the fact that it's because someone is
> challenging a belief that you don't want to be challenged so you're reacting
> against it. It's not because it is objectively offensive. There is nothing
> that is objectively offensive*.

The fact that someone offends someone else is neither more nor less an
issue just because the offence is subjective. If I hold a certain
belief and you choose to stuff that down the toilet, you're a complete
dick, whether or not my belief makes sense.

And for the record, Tedd did not challenge any beliefs. He just made a
stupid joke at the expense of muslims.

> * Nothing is objectively anything. Everything is subjective.

Pure, unadulterated BS.

Peter

--
<hype>