Re: phpsadness

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Peter Lind <peter.e.lind@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Jun 3, 2011 4:52 PM, "Paul M Foster" <paulf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > explode

> > > Nice ... any idea how many people you just insulted there?
> >
> > I'm guessing no one with an actual sense of humor.
> >
> > I suspect most people snickered at the joke and admired the chutzpah it
> > took to post it.
> >

> Admiring people that insult an entire religion? Really, it does not take
> chutzpah, it just takes ignorance or stupidity to do something like that.
> Nothing admirable about it.

There's everything admirable about it. Religion is not special, and does not
deserve any special treatment when it comes to critical comment. I can say
anything I want about a particular political party and that's ok, but I
can't express an opinion about a particular religion because it may cause
offence?

And that's not to mention the fact that tedd's comment is a fact - more than
a few people have detonated in the name of their religion, and chances are
that if someone does detonate themselves it will be in the name of their
religion. He didn't imply that everyone who follows that religion would do
the same, but that's the only interpretation I can think of that would cause
offence, so surely the offence is in the interpretation not the actual
words.

Offence, like all things, is in the eye of the beholder. If something
offends you, take responsibility for the fact that it's because someone is
challenging a belief that you don't want to be challenged so you're reacting
against it. It's not because it is objectively offensive. There is nothing
that is objectively offensive*.

Rant over.

-Stuart

* Nothing is objectively anything. Everything is subjective.

--
Stuart Dallas
3ft9 Ltd

Please note that these comments reflect my opinion only, not those of my
employer.