Re: Script ID?

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Peter Lind <peter.e.lind@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 21 May 2011 18:42, Stuart Dallas <stuart@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Peter Lind <peter.e.lind@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> On 21 May 2011 18:26, Stuart Dallas <stuart@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> *snip*

> >> Thank you for your condescending tone. Best of luck to you too.
> >
> > It is regrettable if you took offence, but I stand by my tone. I've
> cleaned
> > up too many messes over the years that were caused by careless (and in
> some
> > cases incompetent) assumptions that I have little time for anyone who
> > doesn't see the value in expecting the unexpected.
>
> Yet you assume that I have no experience, have never cleaned up messes
> after others, and generally have no clue what I'm talking about. At no
> point did I state that I see no value in expecting the unexpected or
> that I disagree with defensive programming. What I did state is that I
> prefer clearing up any unclear areas and remove assumptions - if I end
> up spending most of my time doing defensive programming because I
> haven't cleared up the specifications with the client, then I have
> done a very poor job.

Any assumptions I made regarding your level of experience came from this
comment..

[I would personally go with "let's either find out or make a decision"
instead of wasting time on coding for situations that will crop up.]

Aside from the presumably erroneous use of "will" instead of "may", this
suggests to me that you are the type of developer who writes code in the
quickest way possible without any concern for its quality or its use beyond
your involvement. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can only go by the evidence that's
presented.

My primary point was that you have not removed assumptions. You may think
you have by putting restrictions on the environment in which your code runs,
but as I said earlier, the larger a project becomes the less likely it will
be that those conditions are going to remain in place. So, those
restrictions are essentially assumptions.

No piece of software would ever get finished without assumptions being made
or various restrictions being in place, but it's always a compromise between
cost of mitigation now against the cost of dealing with changes in the
future (the 10%/90% I mentioned earlier). On that basis I see huge value in
normalising and centralising the generation of URLs for any project that
consists of more than a few simple PHP pages.

Anyway, I doubt there's much point in continuing the conversation -
> you seem to have a set worldview and it appears that my role in it is
> the same regardless of what I state from here on out.

Your role in my world is simply that if your responses in this thread
reflect how you approach your software development, unless you say or do
something that changes my view of that approach I would probably avoid ever
working with you, or on any software with which you've been involved.

This was fun... we should do it again sometime! ;)

-Stuart

--
Stuart Dallas
3ft9 Ltd