Re: Closing Session (Revisited)

On Thu, 2011-05-05 at 21:41 +1000, Roger Riordan wrote:

> I have developed a common engine which I use for several different websites. I had been
> using PHP 5.2.? and IE6 (yes; I know!), and had been able to have multiple sessions open
> at once, displaying the same or different websites, without them interfering with each
> other. This was incredibly useful; I could be looking at, or even edit, different parts of
> the same, or different, websites simultaneously without any problems.
>
> But I recently had a hard disk crash and had to re-install all the system software. Now I
> have PHP 5.3 and IE 8, and find that if I try to do this the various sessions interfere
> with each other. From the above comment I gather that this is because IE 8 combines all
> the instances, whereas previously each instance was treated as a different user.
>
> Is there any simple way to make IE 8 treat each instance as a new user, or should I switch
> to Chrome and use the Incognito feature?
>
> Roger Riordan AM
> http://www.corybas.com/

The Incognito feature wont give you the results you're looking for.
>From my experience, the incognito window(s) and tab(s) share the same
memory/cookie/session space, which is different from the main window...
which means you will run into the same issue.

Once you close all your incognito windows/tabs, you will release those
cookies/sessions/memory space and if you open a new one afterwards, then
you will be fine, but if one tabs stays open, no go :(

Have you looked at the http://ca3.php.net/session_name function, and
putting that into your site just after your session_start() ?  I believe
that will fix your issues (as long as your session names are unique),
but i am not 100% sure.

Steve