Re: Delaying $(document).ready() in jQuery until php script finish OT

On 3 March 2011 17:25, Ashley Sheridan <ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Jay Blanchard" <jblanchard@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>[snip]
>>What I don't get about the question is, is the document.ready()
>>shouldn't fire, until the page has completely loaded, and if the PHP
>>script is still running, the "document" shouldn't be "ready" yet,
>>should
>>it?
>>[/snip]
>>
>>The document ready function fires once the DOM is loaded - which might
>>not be the entire page (images could still be loading, etc.)
>>
>>--
>
> That should still be after php has done its stuff, as php is all on the server, javascript is on the client.
>

> Thanks
> Ash
> --
>
> --

You can push content using flush() so that the browser can get some
content before the script has finished.

You can use this technique as a poor-mans way of passing the top part
of a page with a "Loading" message which is hidden once the remaining
content is ready.

Different browsers and servers will require a certain amount or will
buffer things anyway, so YMMV.

Richard.

--
Richard Quadling