Somewhat OT - Stored Procedures

Hey gang,

(Yes Tedd, I like your style, when it pertains to how you address the list
:))

I have a new curiosity that's arisen as a result of a new contract I'm
working on, I'd like to bounce around some thoughts off the list and see
what you folks think if interested.

The topic at hand is stored procedures.  Frankly, I've hardly ever even seen
these in use, and what I'm trying to figure out are good rules of thumb as
to where / when / how they are best used in application development.

Also, bear in mind that personally I tend to favor OO paradigms for
application development so would prefer feedback that incorporates that
tendency.

Initial thoughts are

Bad:
. Not well suited for ORM, particularly procedures which return multiple
result sets consisting of columns from multiple tables
. Greater potential for duplicated logic, I think this comes down to a well
defined set of rules for any given application, read: convention required
for success
. Scripting languages are vendor specific, and likely most application
developers have a limited understanding thereof

Good:
. Better performance
. <Fill in blank on convincing bullets here>

I've also done some reading on MSSQL vs. MySQL and found that the former
offers much more features.  I've also read that most databases only see
roughly 40% of the feature sets being used for typical applications in the
wild, and would agree from personal experience it is accurate.

>From my standpoint MySQL is popular because the features it offers are the
features folks are really looking, one of those 80/20 things...

I stumbled into this link on a google search, it's from '04 but looks to be
relevant to this day

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2004/10/who-needs-stored-procedures-anyways.html

Your thoughts appreciated,

-nathan