Re: Howdy (new in here)

Tamara Temple wrote:

On Feb 15, 2011, at 4:17 PM, Donovan Brooke wrote:

[snip]
This is what I show my students:

http://rebel.lcc.edu/sperlt/citw229/brace-styles.php

Cheers,

tedd

I didn't know there were names for bracing styles... but

Neither did I -- just the K&R style was the only name I recognized. (I
still have a first edition!)

However, I think on my next project, I will use "Whitesmith's Style".

I would be more inclined to try other styles if my editor of choice,
TextMate, were to easily support them; as it is now, TextMate
automatically un-indents the line when you type a closing } on an open
line, and automatically indents on an open line after a opening { -- so,
what to do? I don't really want to dive into programming my editor's
functions (which I could do with TextMate) as that is really getting
into non-productive tweaking.

The issue I had at times with the K&R style was locating the the
matching (open or closed) brace.. as they were not on the same
character column.

I never really found this to be a problem as long as I kept the various
branches short enough. I was unlucky enough to find someone who coded a
function that went on for 30 pages one (this was in C, not PHP) and
*that* was hard to untangle. Of course, one of the first things I did
when I had a spare moment was to chop it up in to individual functions....

Well, in either case it add's a bit of complexity.. if you are not searching for an end brace, you are scrolling to find a function (or include file perhaps)... but yes, I try to keep them short as well.

One thing I do at times is comment what end brace is what..

} // end to: if $num == 6

I still can't get away from BBedit, but the only automatic thing I have
turned on is text suggestion... which I think about turning off every time I code. ;-)

--
D Brooke