Re: Command line PHP

On Jan 7, 2011, at 12:34 PM, Daniel Brown wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 12:18, Joshua Kehn <josh.kehn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Using another language more suited towards CLI / standalone (non-web) development would be easier. PHP at it's core is a templating language. I don't think it is as suited as say Python for developing standalone applications.
>
>    One might argue that it depends on your mastery of and comfort
> with the language.  That in mind, the same is true of nearly any
> programming language.
>
>    And thanks for reminding me of what PHP is at its core.  ;-P
>
> --
> </Daniel P. Brown>
> Network Infrastructure Manager
> Documentation, Webmaster Teams
> http://www.php.net/

My apologies. I just view PHP as a perfected web language, due to it's templating nature, while using it for other things (scripts, utilities, cron) is a misuse in my opinion.

It does completely depend on your mastery of the language. If you're very good with PHP and you don't often do non-web things it might not make sense to learn another language as well.

Regards,

-Josh
Joshua Kehn | Josh.Kehn@xxxxxxxxx
http://joshuakehn.com