Re: Command line PHP

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 11:55 AM, larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi folks.  I have a project coming up that will involve writing a
> non-trivial command line PHP application.  Most of it will be nice and
> abstracted and standalone and all of that jazz, but it will need to do
> command line interation.  I'm not sure yet if it will be interactive or if I
> just need to parse lots of command line switches.
>
> Has anyone used a CLI-handling library they like?  I recall briefly using
> the PEAR CLI library many many years ago and disliking it because it was
> only barely a step above the raw PHP-CLI SAPI, and still required lots of
> if-else branching in my code.  I don't know if there's anything better since
> then, however.  I prefer clean OO to procedural, but can work with
> procedural if needs be.  The fewer dependencies it has the better as well.
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> (Open source, GPLv2-compatible required.)
>
> --Larry Garfield
>
> --

If all you want is a way to handle command line arguments, I built a
library to do that a few years ago.  I got sick of needing to switch
languages to write a quick command-line script, and I hated the PEAR
CLI tools.  I haven't really looked at it since, and since it was just
about the first thing I wrote that was object oriented I suspect it's
got some problems, but you're welcome to give it a try.

http://people.chem.umass.edu/amckenzie/code/php/php_cli_io/

It handles flags both with and without short forms, and flags with
either zero, one or two arguments.  The demo file in the package has
the docs written into it -- read through it to see how the library
works.

If anyone tries it, let me know what you think, and what I've done
wrong.  It does everything I need, but I don't think anyone else has
ever used it.

-Alex