Re: Printing PDF

On Wed, 2010-12-29 at 17:36 +0000, Richard Quadling wrote:
> On 29 December 2010 17:24, Steve Staples <sstaples@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I can create the PDF's no problem, it is just how to send the created
> > pdf to the printer to print (it is a label printer, printing 3x5 labels)
>
> What type of printer? Some printers require their own language and
> won't have any sort of PS, PCL, Esc/2 or GDI support.
>
> I've worked with industrial printers which take strings of plain text
> to do page layout/description. You load template layouts into the
> printer and can use them.
>
> Completely useless under normal circumstances.
>
> If the printer is something like an Epson TM-L90 (thermal label
> printer with barcode support), then sending it a PDF isn't possible as
> it doesn't have PS support. It is much easier to send it the string of
> codes to have the barcode generated within the label.
>
> On Windows, the drivers deal with all of this stuff. I've no idea on Unix.
>
> The exact model of the printer would help.

I am currently unaware of the printer model, I am mostly working at
building a quote for them.   I suppose I should get the make/models of
what they are going to be using... and hope to hell that they are
compatible.  I do know that the printer has a custom formatted label, so
I hope that there is some drivers or wahtever availble to linux that i
can send the PDF to it to print... looks like this will be some trial
and error (err... research and development?).   The printing is the only
real trivial part of the whole thing.

maybe i should just make this all a greenscreen app, using windows .bat
scripting :)

thanks for all your insight, and once i get some more information, and
after googleing some, if i have MORE questions, i'll be back!!

hope everyone's holidays (if you celebrated any over the last few weeks)
were good, and the new year treats you well!

Steve