Re: Printing PDF

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 10:36:30AM -0500, Steve Staples wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have an app that needs to be created, and it is all running on linux.
> I am sure I shoulnd't really write it using PHP, but it's kinda what I
> know, and am familiar with... so I am thinking about doing with PHP.
>
> Anyway, for simplicity sake, i am creating a pdf through php (no
> problems there) and it needs to be printed.  I've never done printing on
> linux, but is there an easy way to send the pdf print job via command
> lines to the local (or network) printer?
>
> a friend of mine said "postscript" or "cups", but I am not familiar with
> them, so I thought I would ask you GURU's here :)

The big problem here is that the site is on the server and the printer
is on the client (most likely). Normally if you provide a link to a PDF
in a webpage, the user/client downloads that PDF and the browser tries
to open it in whatever program it thinks is good for that (like XPDF
under Linux). The program in which it opens the PDF will have an option
to print the file. I've been printing invoices, checks and reports out
of my corporate system for years this way.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster
http://noferblatz.com