Re: Re: Do you trim() usernames and passwords?

On Dec 28, 2010, at 6:28 PM, Paul M Foster wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 03:11:56PM -0500, Joshua Kehn wrote:
>
>> Specifically:

>> Users should not be copy-pasting passwords or usernames. Do not compromise a system to cater to bad [stupid, ignorant, you pick] users. If this is an issue then educate the users.
>>

> Wrong. I use a program called pwgen to generate passwords for me, which
> I cannot remember. I use another program I built to store them in an
> encrypted file. When I have to supply a password which I've forgotten
> (as usual), I fire up my password "vault", find the password, and paste
> it wherever it's needed. Users would be wise to follow a scheme like
> this, rather than using their dog's name or somesuch as their passwords.
>
> Paul
>
> --
> Paul M. Foster
> http://noferblatz.com

What is "wrong?" That users should not be copy-pasting passwords or don't compromise the system?

I agree that users should not use weak passwords, but not everyone goes everywhere with a vault. I am more then capable of memorizing 20 or so 16-32 character full set passwords.

Regards,

-Josh