Re: ORM doctrine

On Sunday, 12 December 2010, Lester Caine <lester@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Peter Lind wrote:
>
> I may have misunderstood the topic, but a cache to me is more than
> just storing views. It's also the db cache, memcache, apc, etc. You
> have to think about how you use these - some of them can't just be
> slapped on to your app after development.
>

>>> ÂData caching SHOULD always be the
>>> Âdomain of the database, so duplicating that in PHP is pintless.
>

> So you're saying one should never use memcache for storing data from the db?
>

> That is probably one of the areas where care should be taken in WHAT you are caching. CURRENTLY too much caching goes on

I have not seen this problem but I have often seen sites not caching
things they should, so I'd say you're wrong. I don't think its
relevant one way or the other though.

> memcache may well be a candidate to use for a cached list of choices for a form, but on a distributed database ( such as Firebird ) then how do you KNOW if the list has been updated?

This is relevant to very few developers. Much more relevant is the
overhead used in contacting the single mysql/postgresql/etc database
that your provider put on another machine.

> Only the database actually knows that, and a good database will provide ALL of the data caching that you need ... or at least it should if the DATABASE is designed correctly.

See above.

> The reason for 'caching' needs to be understood before it is applied in order to avoid the black holes that random caching is causing nowadays already. How often do you hear "wipe the xxx browser cache"? And I know if I am changing theme elements in bitweaver or phpgedview then I HAVE to wipe the cache to ensure that smarty rebuilds the relevant pages.

Which underlines my point: caching is not icing on the cake but should
be thought of sooner in the process, contrary to Tommys point.

Regards
Peter

--
<hype>