RE: ORM doctrine

I understand cache well, both the benefits (save DB trip) and shortfalls (outdated by DB, management, etc.).  Most of the apps that I've seen so far used cache to solve a problem that shouldn't happen in the 1st place.  For example, during recent my quest looking PHP MVC framework and sample apps, I saw OpenCart, an e-commerce app based on custom MVC framework.  Installed it for a test run.  It looks good and seems to perform well with the included sample data.  Then I filled up some more sample data: over 3000 categories, over 2000 manufacturers, over 300,000 products.  No other changes made such specials, features, etc.  Although the app supports i18n, the sample data is just one language for a decent DB size of about 100MB.  The app took over 30 seconds to respond for any link.  Then I disable the cache and began debugging.  I made 1 minor addition to the DB and 1 minor change in the code base - parts on 1 line - I shorten the response time by about 10 seconds.  What I just did proved my 2nd and 3rd point :)

Regards,
Tommy