Re: ORM doctrine

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 11:11 PM, Daevid Vincent <daevid@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Avoid these ORM things like the plague! . . . Not to
> mention all that fancy "ORM" doesn't come without a price. It costs in
> terms
> of speed, as well as training.

If you value CPU time over developer time, by all means avoid ORM frameworks
(and *all* frameworks). The point of a common framework is to trade a small
bit of performance for a large amount of developer time. If you will only
use the framework once, the payoff will be much less. The goal is to choose
frameworks that you can leverage again and again.

As for training, you will be able to hire another developer that knows
Doctrine. It will be impossible to find a developer *anywhere* that
understands your home-grown framework without training. Nor will you get
help with bugs in your framework or be able to discuss better ways to use it
on forums.

That being said, there are times when it's better to write your own code. I
will do this if the options out there don't suit my needs or if they seem
under-supported. For example, while we use PHPUnit and Zend MVC in our apps,
I wrote my own TestCase subclasses instead of using Zend's. I had to write
documentation for the other developers, and I must maintain it as needs
change. It was not a decision I took lightly.

David