Re: PHP shows nothing

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 10:38 PM, Bob McConnell <rvm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Mohammad Taghi Khalifeh
>
> > Hi there,
> > I have a package written in pure PHP, some .php files that refer to
> others
> > via require_once(''),
> > but when I try to see package's contents via a browser, the pacakge
> just
> > shows nothing: a blank page.
> > I've activated all log levels, and it seems that php doesn't encounter
> any
> > problem.
> > I'm using PHP 5.3.3 and apache httpd 2.2.
> > FYI, I'm new to PHP and this mailing list :)
> > I would appreciate if someone could help me.
>
> One of the irregularities about require_once is that if there is a
> syntax error anywhere in the chain, the interpreter simply exits without
> emitting anything. If you have display errors turned off, you get
> nothing at all. There may be clues in the Apache error log, but don't
> depend on it. To debug, enable errors temporarily, or print some bread
> crumbs at the start of each file. That should at least help identify how
> far you get before it fails.

the files are so many,  so I think tracking problem by printing some bread
crumbs at the start of each file is not easy,
something that might help is that I've turned on magic_quotes_gpc because of
the package developer's suggestion.
but I got this warning in both php log:
"PHP Warning:  Directive 'magic_quotes_gpc' is deprecated in PHP 5.3 and
greater in Unknown on line 0"
is this warning mean that 'magic_quotes_gpc' will not work properly? so
whats the alternative?

Bob McConnell