Re: [IDEA] date_moonrise, date_moonset, and date_moon_info for calculating moonrise and moonset

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 13:55, Steve Staples <sstaples@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In his defense, he was talking abut moonrise, and moonset... in some
> cases, the moon is up during the middle of the day...
>
> this originally started out a joke reply... but then after thinking
> about what to say, I realized that the moonrise/set does not follow the
> sun... crap, i hate my brain... LOL

    True, it wouldn't be enough to calculate it as an inverse of solar
traversal, but there are of course predetermined formulae for both
moon phases and its traversal based on longitudinal and latitudinal
coordinates, and adjustments for altitude and horizon variances.

> on a side note, where would you even get this info?  is there a set
> formula for sunrise/set?

    Sure.  Look up sunrise and sunset times on Google and you'll see
they're readily available.  Then it's trivial to calculate axial tilt
and time elapse between periods of equinox to find the variances for
dates not already pre-calculated.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
Dedicated Servers, Cloud and Cloud Hybrid Solutions, VPS, Hosting