Re: Upload using FTP commands

On Thu, 2010-08-26 at 17:24 +0100, Matthew Croud wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to give my client the ability to upload large files ( around
> 20MB ) to a webspace.
> I reckon that using the FTP commands of PHP would be the best bet, but
> is it possible to allow them to do this through an online form.
>
> This is my vision: the client logs in to a form that has an upload
> button, and the upload button uses the FTP commands to upload the file.
>
> Is that do-able in PHP ?
>
> Cheers!

What would be the point?

You would have to set up your server to allow large files to be uploaded
in order for them to be used by PHP, and by that time, unless you're
putting them onto a remote server, there's no point in using the FTP
functions of PHP. What I've found quite reliable is to use PHP to create
FTP user accounts, which they can then log in to and upload files as
they need.

HTTP was not really intended for uploading large files, but FTP is, and
every OS has some form of FTP software built in that can be used very
easily.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk