Re: Serial Numbers

"Ashley Sheridan" <ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1278962039.2202.5.camel@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Mon, 2010-07-12 at 14:52 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
>> I'm sure it is possible, but I am unsure how to do this.  I have created
>> Sale coupon that I was going to put up on a site that I manage, for
>> visitors
>> to print out and bring to the store. The coupon is currently a .png,
>> however
>> I was planning on converting to a pdf.  I would like to put on the coupon
>> serial number that increases by 1 everytime the page is viewed. I dont
>> really care if someone refreshes the page and skews the numbers.
>>
>> Is this possible and could someone give me some help?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Gary

>> signature database 5273 (20100712) __________

>> http://www.eset.com
>>

> You need some indicator on your server to keep track of the number. To
> me, the ideal solution would appear to be a MySQL database. You can set
> up a table with an auto_increment field and use the id generated from
> that.
>
> Two things to maybe note:
>

>     1. Don't use MAX(id) in a query to get the next auto value, use
>        something like mysql_insert_id() instead. The MAX() method is
>        just a race condition waiting to happen.
>     2. If you expect a lot of traffic, then consider setting this table
>        to use the InnoDB engine instead of MyIsam which is usually the
>        default. This allows MySQL to apply row-level locking instead of
>        table-level, which can improve performance when PHP has to wait
>        for MySQL.
>

> Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Ashley

Thanks for your reply.

I was not going to go to the trouble of calling the AI number from a
database, although that is an interesting concept.

The question really becomes "How to insert into an image" I could just write
a simple hit counter and create a new php/html page, but since the image
(coupon) was already created, I thought it would be easier, not to mention
expand my abilities.

It is a small shop and if they get 100 coupons, they will be extatic, so it
will not kill us if it were too much trouble.

I have gone to using  InnoDB as my standard table, mainly for the foreign
key ability, but I do keep reading that there are more and more advantage to
using is over Myisam.

Thanks again for your reply.

Gary

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5273 (20100712) __________