RE: Select Values Didn't Get Passed in From Two Different Forms

At 7:31 PM -0400 5/28/10, Alice Wei wrote:

Anything I want?

Seriously, I do know how to pass a "non-dynamic" element from one page to another page, but when I started researching on how to utilize dynamic menus based on user input, I found Ajax, until this problem that I am running into hits me.

Is there some way that I could generate dynamic select menus without using Ajax? Or, is that asking too much?

Thanks for your help.

Alice

Alice:

No offense, but considering what you posted when you started this exchange, it did not appear that you knew how to use forms. But on the other hand, I don't know what "non-dynamic" elements are.

Now on to your problem -- you want to "generate dynamic select menu" -- I'm not sure what those are either. I think you need to start using the terminology used in html, controls, and such. You can't just throw terms together hoping that the person at the other end knows what you're talking about.

In any event, here's something for you to consider:

http://www.webbytedd.com/a/ajax-controls/

It shows how to use javascript to detect user's actions in input elements (i.e., text, radio, checkboxes, etc.) and select elements. From those routines, you should be able to construct whatever "dynamic select menus" you want. All the code is there -- just review it.

It would be a trivial matter to add a Submit button to the form to pass these values to the server via traditional means and thus the Submit was omitted to show how Ajax Controls work.

However, it is important to note that the example provided above is not unobtrusive -- it is an early example of how all of this was done. There are more appropriate ways to accomplish this, but they require more abstraction, which would probably lead to more confusion on your part -- no offense meant.

I suggest you read "DOM Scripting" and "Advance DOM Scripting" both published by Friends of ED. They are well worth the cost/effort to read and would give you a better understanding of the processes involved.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------