RE: Select Values Didn't Get Passed in From Two Different Forms

 Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 12:34:55 -0400
> [...]
> >

> ><?php
> >   $start = isset($_POST['start']) ? $_POST['start'] : null;
> >?>
> >     <form action="" method="post">
> >         Select the type of your starting point of interest:<br>
> >         <input type="text" name="start" value="<?php
> >echo($start);?>" size="20" ><br />
> >         Which Semster is this: <select name="semester">
> >                         <option value="Fall">Fall</option>
> >                         <option value="Spring">Spring</option>
> >                         <option value="Summer">Summer</option>
> >                     </select><br/>
> >         <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Submit" >
> >     </form>
> >
> >  Note, what I provided here does not include anything on the ajax.
> >
> >Hope this answers your question.
>
> Alice :
>
> I didn't have a question, but here's my revision of your code:
>
> http://www.webbytedd.com/cccc/alice1/
>
> Please review the code and see how: 1) I captured the select value;
> 2) and how I used that value to focus the selected option.
>
> You say:
>
> >  Note, what I provided here does not include anything on the ajax.
>
> I've never put anything "on the ajax" -- that doesn't make sense.
>
> Ajax is simply a way to communicate from the browser to the server
> and back again without requiring a browser refresh. As the user
> triggers a client-side event (i.e., click, select, enter text, move a
> mouse, whatever), a javascript routine then sends data to the server
> to activate a server-side script, which may, or may not, return data.
>
> For example -- with javascript turned ON please review:
>
> http://www.webbytedd.com/a/ajax-site/
>
> This is simply a one page template that uses an ajax routine to
> retrieve data from the server to populate the page based upon what
> the user triggers (i.e., the visitor clicks a navigational link).
>
> If you will review the HTML source code, you will find a very basic
> HTML template that will remain static for all three "apparent" pages.
> If you use the FireFox browser you can review the generated HTML.
>
> Now where did the generated HTML come from, you might ask? It came
> from the server after a request was made from the client to the
> server and the server responded with the correct data -- all without
> requiring a browser refresh. That's an example of how ajax works.
>
> Keep in mind that using "best practices" requires you to *first*
> design forms to collect data WITHOUT requiring javascript and then
> you can enhance the form to provide additional functionality to those
> who have javascript turned on. Also keep in mind that you may not
> need ajax to alter the form. You only need ajax if there is data on
> the server that needs to be retrieved.
>
> Now, please turn javascript OFF in your browser and review my page again:
>
> http://www.webbytedd.com/a/ajax-site/
>
> That's an example of NOT following "best practices". The visitor is
> provided nothing if they have javascript turned OFF.
>
> Now considering such, what additional functionality do you want your

Tedd,

  What I am trying to find out is, when I have my form with a dependent select menu, how can I pass the value of the select menu to another page? I have mentioned in the initial email that if I just allow users to type stuff, it passes the form back to itself and works. However, what I want
 to do is to allow users click one radio button/checkbox, and use that value to determine which "select menu" to bring up. However, the information I am only interested in storing, is the value of the select menu and not the radio  button/checkbox.

Am I making sense here?

Alice