RE: Select Values Didn't Get Passed in From Two Different Forms

> Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 12:23:46 -0400
> To: ajwei@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> From: tedd.sperling@xxxxxxxxx
> Subject: RE:  Select Values Didn't Get Passed in From Two Different Forms
>
> At 3:50 PM -0400 5/26/10, Alice Wei wrote:
> >
> > My bad, I cannot imagine I sent that stuff. To answer your
> >question, here it is,
> >
> > <form action="" method="post">
> > <input type="text" name="start" size="20"
> >maxlength="50"/>
> >
> > <input type="submit" value="submit" name="submit"></p>
> > </form>
> >

> >This is what is working now if I do it this way, but again, then I
> >got to make sure everything is "typed up properly" before the form
> >is submitted. Does this answer your questions by any chance?
> >

> >Alice
> >

> Alice:
>
> Okay, not bad -- here's my addition:
>
> http://www.webbytedd.com/cccc/alice/
>
> Please review the code. I removed the maxlength because that's
> something you should do server-side anyway. Never trust anything
> coming from the client-side.
>
> Also note that closing the tags, such as <br/> is optional -- IF --
> you're not planning on using XML. Otherwise they will generate a W3C
> short-tags warning. However, that's not a fatal error.
>
> Also note the Submit button statement has three attributes. Type
> states the type of input statement, value is what the button displays
> to the user (i.e., Submit") and name is the name of the variable that
> you can access via a POST/GET.
>
> Also note how the form collects the "start" value from a POST and
> then repopulates the form after it has the data. This important to
> understand. Clicking the "Submit" button sends the form's data to the
> server which then sends it back to the browser via a refreshed form.
>
> Also note the ternary operator I used, namely:
>
> $start = isset($_POST['start']) ? $_POST['start'] : null;
>
> The first time the page is viewed, POST is sampled for content. If
> there is no content, then checking for content will generate an error
> unless we first check to see if it has content, hence the isset(). If
> it doesn't have content, then the statement assigns NULL to $start.
> If it does have content, then it will assign that value to $start,
> understand?
>
> Now, what's next? What other data do you want to collect? You
> mentioned a select control that derived its data from a database. But
> before we go to that, show me a "select" control working in a form
> with embedded values -- in other words, just a simple select control.
> Please add it to the form we have.
>
> Cheers,
>

> tedd

I am not sure how to add to the page you have set up, but here is the code with ther portion you have set up:

<?php
  $start = isset($_POST['start']) ? $_POST['start'] : null;
?>
    <form action="" method="post">
        Select the type of your starting point of interest:<br>
        <input type="text" name="start" value="<?php echo($start);?>" size="20" ><br />
        Which Semster is this: <select name="semester">
                        <option value="Fall">Fall</option>
                        <option value="Spring">Spring</option>
                        <option value="Summer">Summer</option>
                    </select><br/>
        <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Submit" >
    </form>

 Note, what I provided here does not include anything on the ajax.

Hope this answers your question.

Alice