Re: PHP Application Structre

On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 08:48 +0530, chetan rane wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> mod rewrite was actually inrduced to have search engne frendly urls.
> hnce if you want a seo site then you have to use options 1 & 2. using
> smarty or any templating engine for readibility is not total  true.
> one of the major advantages of using template engines is caching
>
> On 5/11/10, David McGlone <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> this isn't necessarily true - the architecture I've developed uses a
> >> single dispatch script (works fine with the mod rewrite option 2
> >> scenario as well) - this script does general checks/security/filters etc
> >> then simply determines what page/function the user wants from the
> >> request ($_GET/$_POST parameter) and passes control to the specific
> >> handler via including the relevant controller module. The controller
> >> module is responsible for which template is required and loads up
> >> specific classes needed to process the request etc so each module just
> >> loads its own stuff and nothing else so there's no overhead.
> >>
> >> This method also has a small extra benefit that the web server document
> >> root just has a very simple 2 liner script instead a myriad of php
> >> scripts... if the webserver is misconfigured then someone who sees the
> >> source code doesn't get to see much..
> >
> > This thread makes me wonder if using Smarty is smart. Does anyone here use a
> > templeting system such as smarty or am I the only one?
> >
> > --
> > Blessings,
> > David M.
> >
> > --
> >

> --
> Sent from my mobile device
>
> with regards,
>
> Chetan Dattaram Rane
> Mob :  +91 9766646714
> Phone: 0831-2462055

Aside from the fact that I've yet to find any actual evidence that
search engines treat what most people consider 'search engine friendly'
urls any different from the 'unfriendly dynamic' ones. Next time you
search for something online have a look at the URLs and see how many
belong to forums with dynamic URLs. More than you'd think I would
imagine, but it does go a long way to prove that most search engines
don't give much credence to the URL these days.

Of course, it does help if your keywords are in the URL, but I've not
noticed much of a difference between:

somesite.com/page-about-subject
and
somesite.com/?page=page-about-subject