Re: PHP Application Structre

Ashley Sheridan wrote:
On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 08:48 +0530, chetan rane wrote:

Hi all,

mod rewrite was actually inrduced to have search engne frendly urls.
hnce if you want a seo site then you have to use options 1 & 2. using
smarty or any templating engine for readibility is not total  true.
one of the major advantages of using template engines is caching

I've read some {disparaging?) comments on "option 2", but I've
got a question, or point, about that.  I'm not at all sure that
you have to use "mod_rewrite" at all, can't you just use a
FORCETYPE directive on your handler script(s)?

I've certainly got some work in the form:

somesite.com/scriptname/var1/var2/var3

that seems to work well with no use of the rewrite module.

Aside from the fact that I've yet to find any actual evidence that
search engines treat what most people consider 'search engine friendly'
urls any different from the 'unfriendly dynamic' ones. Next time you
search for something online have a look at the URLs and see how many
belong to forums with dynamic URLs. More than you'd think I would
imagine, but it does go a long way to prove that most search engines
don't give much credence to the URL these days.

Of course, it does help if your keywords are in the URL, but I've not
noticed much of a difference between:

somesite.com/page-about-subject
and
somesite.com/?page=page-about-subject

I think that this may be an artifact of an earlier time.  There
was a time when SE's didn't do so well with query strings, but it'd
be a little silly to think their owners didn't realize this and left
things exactly the way they were back in 2002 ... wouldn't it?

My $0.02,

Kevin Kinsey