Re: Any One See where this is going wrong?

"Adam Richardson" <simpleshot@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 6:54 PM, Gary <gwpaul@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> "Adam Richardson" <simpleshot@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>> > condition, price, description, image_file_name, available) VALUES
>> >
>> > ('$manufacturer',
>> >>
>> '$model','$caliber','$condition','$price','$description','$image_file_name','$available');
>> >
>> > INSERT INTO images(id, image_file) VALUES ('', '$image_file')";
>> >

>> > Gary, the second insert has what appears to be a troublesome bit of
>> > code:
>> >
>> > VALUES ('', '$image_file')";
>> >
>> > Shouldn't it read:
>> >
>> > INSERT INTO images(image_file) VALUES ('$image_file')";
>> >
>> > That's assuming you have id set to auto-increment, so no id in the
>> > first
>> > or
>> > second set of parentheses.  Additionally, the ", before the $image_file
>> > var
>> > would cause issues, too.
>> >
>> > Adam
>> > --
>> > Nephtali:  PHP web framework that functions beautifully
>> > http://nephtaliproject.com
>> >

>> > __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus
>> > signature database 5078 (20100501) __________
>> >
>> > The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.
>> >
>> > http://www.eset.com
>> >

>> Adam
>>
>> The second INSERT is part of a multi_query, and yes there is a
>> auto-increment field in front named id,  it is the foreign key that links
>> the tables.
>>
>> I had removed, and just tried again, but the same result.
>>
>> I have tried it so many ways my fingers and eyes are about to bleed. It
>> makes not sense how it works in one but not the other.
>>
>> I cant see to get the error called out.
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> Gary

>> signature
>> database 5078 (20100501) __________

>> http://www.eset.com
>>

>> --
>>

> And you also removed the double quote and the comma next to it (sorry,
> just
> making sure?)  That is to say, you copied the line of code I sent?
>
> $sqlStatements = "INSERT INTO guns( *id,*manufacturer, type, model, //
> *id,*should be removed
> caliber, condition, price, description, image_file_name,submitted
> ,available) VALUES ('*',*'$manufacturer', '$type', '$model', '$caliber',
>   // the *",* combo should be removed
> '$condition', '$price', '$description','$image_file_name', ' ',
> '$available');
>
> INSERT INTO images (*id,* image_file) VALUES('','$image_file')";
> //
> the *id,* should be removed AND the *",* combo should be removed
>
> Also, have you tried directly echoing out the error (e.g., *echo
> mysql_error();*  if it's mysql you're using, or the comparable method in
> the
> library you're using.)
>
> If that didn't work, I'd break up the multi-query into 2 separate queries
> [...]

Adam

What I ended up doing was I rebuilt the entire thing from start.  I created
one table with one column, made sure it worked, then added a few more, then
added the child table.

The only thing that I can think of is that I had one of the columns named
"id", and maybe that is not allowed.

I also just had the form processed on itself, but I cant really imagine that
would have anything to do with it.

I'll post the code later if interested, I am still adding columns, but the
child is working so that would seem to be the only real challenge.

Thanks for all your input.

Gary

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5080 (20100502) __________

http://www.eset.com