Re: Will PHP ever "grow up" and have threading?

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Tommy Pham <tommyhp2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Tommy Pham wrote:
>>
>>> I'm presenting the argument for threading.  Per is presenting the work
>>> around using asynchronous queries via mysqlnd.  I did read that link a
>>> few days ago, "Although the user can send multiple queries at once,
>>> multiple queries cannot be sent over a busy connection. If a query is
>>> sent while the connection is busy, it waits until the last query is
>>> finished and discards all its results."  Which sounds like threads ->
>>> multiple connections to not run into that problem.
>>
>> You must have read the wrong page.  This is NOT about multiple queries,
>> it's about _asynchronous_ queries.
>>

>  That quote is comming directly from that link Peter Lind gave, which
> I read a few days ago.  Did you read it?

Here's the entire description:

" pg_send_query() sends a query or queries asynchronously to the connection
. Unlike pg_query(), it *can send multiple queries at once to PostgreSQL*and
*get the results one by one using pg_get_result().*

Script execution is not blocked while the queries are executing. Use
pg_connection_busy() to check if the connection is busy (i.e. the query is
executing). Queries may be cancelled using pg_cancel_query().

*Although the user can send multiple queries at once, multiple queries
cannot be sent over a busy connection. If a query is sent while the
connection is busy, it waits until the last query is finished and discards
all its results.*"

Any case, that's only workaround for mysql (mysqlnd) & postgresql.  What
about those that uses other RDBMS?