Re: Will PHP ever "grow up" and have threading?

On 25 March 2010 19:37, Tommy Pham <tommyhp2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 3:55 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Tommy Pham wrote:

>>> You're assuming that everyone in the PHP world uses MySQL 4.1 or
>>> newer.  What about those who don't?
>>
>> They don't get to use threading, nor asynchronous mysql queries.
>>
>> Come on, you're asking about a future feature in PHP 7.x , but would
>> like to support someone who is seriously backlevel on mysql??
>>

>> --
>> Per Jessen, Zürich (16.9°C)
>>

> I'm not talking about MySQL 4.0 or older.  I'm talking about other
> RDBMS.  I think you should open your eyes a bit wider and take a look
> at the bigger picture (Firebird, MSSQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, etc).

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.pg-send-query.php

Looks to me like the PHP postgresql library already handles that. Not
to mention: you're not presenting an argument for threads, you're
presenting an argument for implementing asynchronous queries in the
other DBMS libraries.

Of course, the problem could also be solved by introducing threads in
PHP. I'd personally guess modifying DBMS libraries would be less
costly, but as I haven't been involved in writing the PHP code my
guess isn't worth much.

Regards
Peter

> --