Re: Will PHP ever "grow up" and have threading?

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 1:09 AM, Ashley Sheridan
<ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 10:00 +0200, Rene Veerman wrote:
>
>> jeez dude, you're assuming that all software problems are best solved
>> by a sql solution.
>> imo, they're NOT. example? any realtime system with real work to do.
>>
>> please stop pretending you know the proper design of all software that
>> is made or yet has to be made.
>> both a ya.

>> > Switch to a real database?
>> > MySQL still needs to grow up as well :)
>> >
>> > --
>> > Lester Caine - G8HFL
>> >

> But aren't you doing exactly that by saying that PHP needs threading and
> that threading is the only way to achieve certain goals. I've watched
> this thread go on quite a bit, and haven't seen a really good argument
> that proves PHP needs threading when it can't be solved without it. PHP
> is PHP. If it behaved exactly the same as all the other languages, what
> would make it distinct against those others. One of it's main strenghts
> is its simplicity I feel. If you added threading to the bag of tricks it
> already has, you're getting into areas that make it more difficult to
> pick up for beginners (and that's not to mention the technical elements
> involved in actually adding threading to PHP) Currently the only other
> 'easy' language I know for beginners is ColdFusion, and that's just
> horrible. You wouldn't want to be responsible for sending the newbies
> down that path would you?! :p
>
> Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

That's why I gave an analogy of AJAX earlier.  You use AJAX yourself.
Do you use it for every project?  Would you recommend AJAX to newbies?
 When you do use AJAX, there is a slight difference in your app design
then when you don't use AJAX.  That's the way I see threads.  It's not
for every body nor for every project.  But it would be great if it's
there when the need/requirement arises.  And yes, coldfusion should be
phased out long ago...