Re: Will PHP ever "grow up" and have threading?

Tommy Pham wrote:

> The company started small.  As their business grows because they have
> products & services that do not exist in the marketplace, their
> hardware are already growing along side with it, (load balancers,
> clusters).  So then your solution is buy bigger/more boxes?  What if
> the their server room is filled and already using recent hardware.

Same answer - buy a bigger box (i.e. serverroom).  I would certainly
also start a redesign from the ground up, but to solve the immediate
problem, get more hardware.

> Their current business needs doesn't need to move to a bigger
> building.  What then? Hire data center's services?  What if they want
> to protect their proprietary break through products and services?

Rent space and maybe hardware. That's what most businesses do.

> What about unnecessary additional total cost of ownership (licenses,
> power consumption, etc...) for more/bigger boxes, even if they have
> available space, that could be avoided by just implementing threads?

If you believe threading is such a silver bullet, I really think you
need to reconsider.  This business has already invested in more
hardware to satisfy demand, so the application has some scalability -
presumably achieved by running multiple processes.  Threads have some
advantages over processes, but when your design doesn't take that into
account anyway, why do you need threads?

[snip]
> In summary, you're saying that PHP can not grow/evolve with
> business right?

Certainly not.  PHP is just a language, like most other programming
languages, it doesn't grow nor does it evolve a lot.  (the OOP paradigm
is an example of where PHP evolved).
I'm saying that a back-of-a-fag-packet design won't grow nor evolve very
well, and its inevitable shortcomings will not be solved by bolting
on "threading".

> If the company started small and want to use available open source
> solutions, then grow quickly because of their unique and quality
> products and services, and become enterprise level with-in a few
> years, what then?  Slow down business growth just so that IT can
> migrate everything to another language? Of all the enterprise
> applications I've seen, they used threads.

Tommy, that's not about the language, that's a design issue.  Run PHP in
multiple processes, and you've got the parallelism you seem to seek.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (6.8°C)