Re: Will PHP ever "grow up" and have threading?

Rene Veerman wrote:
jeez dude, you're assuming that all software problems are best solved
by a sql solution.
imo, they're NOT. example? any realtime system with real work to do.

please stop pretending you know the proper design of all software that
is made or yet has to be made.
both a ya.

I run real time systems for offices that count serving time in seconds. I know currently where the bottlenecks are, and adding 'threading' to PHP is not a solution. I fact adding much of the dross that has been added to PHP5 is ACTUALLY slowing down performance. I have PHP5.3 and PHP5.2 running on similarly loaded sites, and PHP5.2 is faster! I am just pointing out that on *MY* REAL applications, the SQL element is a major part of the processing time, and yes moving some of the table lookups to be hard coded arrays in PHP would make a difference, but then complicates configurability, so keeping them in the database makes life easier.

The proper design is the one that meets the customers requirements and gets the bills paid. Processing the raw statistics required for my own sites is best done away from PHP, so using the right tools for the job is the important thing?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL