Re: Mail Function In PHP

On 03/08/2010 06:18 PM, Richard Quadling wrote:
On 8 March 2010 13:06, Teus Benschop<teusjannette@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 10:21 +0000, Richard Quadling wrote:
Contrary to popular belief, to send an email you do not need to have
your own SMTP server. All you need to know is the SMTP server
responsible for your recipients email.
[...]
above. But at times it happens that the receiving smtp server refuses to
accept mail from the sender since the sender is not known to be a good
smtp server, and at times it could get blacklisted. Rules like this get
tightened up because of the desire to curb spam at the source.

Teus.
So, say I did go and setup a local SMTP relay, how would I make it
known that it was a "real" smtp server and not just some script
pushing spam?

You can use SPF, DomainKeys plus valid DNS information.
I have setup SPF records for my domains. If you attempt to send E-Mail as if it was sent from my server then any server doing SPF record checking will not accept or simply drop your message.

I have not setup DomainKeys since SPF has served me well but I will configure it soon.

--
John
Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.