Re: Pointers For Newbies, Reminders For Oldies

Daniel Egeberg wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 18:13, Daniel Brown <danbrown@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 12:08, Daniel Egeberg <degeberg@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> There is virtually no difference nowadays. It's a long time since
>>> anything like that has mattered.
>>    Actually, that's not true enough to be dismissive.  It depends on
>> several factors.
>
> Well, I would still say it's far too insignificant to bother with.

Strangely I actually feel quite passionate about optimisation at the
procedural code level, making sure each line of code is correct and
optimised adds up to one big well optimised script / application.

kinda like a builder saying "cement is insignificant it's the bricks
that matter", or a writer suggesting that punctuation doesn't matter any
more.

If you took the above logic and used it in something like ActionScript
where you're code could be run at 50-60 fps (often meaning methods are
called 600-60k times a second) - little statements like that would crash
a browser and put you out of a job.

regards :)