Re: Pointers For Newbies, Reminders For Oldies

On Wed, 2010-01-27 at 10:42 -0500, Paul M Foster wrote:

> "... should be obvious - but are often overlooked - points within coding
> practice that can cause the programmer to develop bad habits and bad
> code." - Dan Brown
>
> Tip #1:
>
> Don't use count() in loops unless there are very few items to count and
> performance doesn't matter, or the number will vary over the loop. That
> is, don't do this:
>
> for ($i = 0; $i < count($items); $i++)
>
> Instead, do this:
>
> $number = count($items);
> for ($i = 0; $i < $number; $i++)
>
> Reason: when you use the count() call at the top of the loop, it will
> re-evaluate the number of items each time it's called, which usually
> isn't necessary and adds time. Instead, work out the number of items
> before going into the loop and simply refer to that for the number of
> items in controlling the loop.
>
> Paul
>
> --
> Paul M. Foster

What about using the right type of quotation marks for output:

I use double quotes(") if I expect to output variables within the
string, and single quotes when it's just a simple string.

It's only a general rule of thumb and shouldn't be adhered to
absolutely, but I remember a thread a while back that showed the speed
differences between the two because of the extra parsing PHP does on
double quoted strings.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk