Re: Pointers For Newbies, Reminders For Oldies

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 11:44 PM, Ashley Sheridan
<ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-01-27 at 10:42 -0500, Paul M Foster wrote:
>
> > "... should be obvious - but are often overlooked - points within coding
> > practice that can cause the programmer to develop bad habits and bad
> > code." - Dan Brown
> >
> > Tip #1:
> >
> > Don't use count() in loops unless there are very few items to count and
> > performance doesn't matter, or the number will vary over the loop. That
> > is, don't do this:
> >
> > for ($i = 0; $i < count($items); $i++)
> >
> > Instead, do this:
> >
> > $number = count($items);
> > for ($i = 0; $i < $number; $i++)
> >
> > Reason: when you use the count() call at the top of the loop, it will
> > re-evaluate the number of items each time it's called, which usually
> > isn't necessary and adds time. Instead, work out the number of items
> > before going into the loop and simply refer to that for the number of
> > items in controlling the loop.
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > --
> > Paul M. Foster
> >

> What about using the right type of quotation marks for output:
>
> I use double quotes(") if I expect to output variables within the
> string, and single quotes when it's just a simple string.
>
> It's only a general rule of thumb and shouldn't be adhered to
> absolutely, but I remember a thread a while back that showed the speed
> differences between the two because of the extra parsing PHP does on
> double quoted strings.

That should be on the stackoverflow.com
It compare the string parsing with or without variables embeded
and the important of comma operator when ` echo ` data

use
echo 'something', 'other'

but not
echo 'something' . 'other'