Re: Question on XML/XSL/PHP/MySQL

Ryan Park wrote:
> Hypothetically say that I have MySQL with petabytes of data. I want to
> use XSL as my template language. But in order to use XSL, I need to make
> XML filled with petabytes of data. This does not sound elaborate way to
> use XSL/XML; I would rather use PHP/MySQL/Smarty. Is there a way around
> this so that I can use XSL instead of Smarty?

have you tried rdf serialized as xml and displayed w/ xslt?

you could also do it on the clientside (with xslt) obviously and palm
off the presentation to the client; or ecmascript over json encoded data.

still unsure why you'd want to display petabytes of data in one page
though; normally we'd use paging for this - at which point you take that
out of the equation and decision should be down to whether you want to
publish your (petabytes of) data as human readable data or as both human
and machine readable data. If the decision is both then look into rdf as
xml w/ xslt or as XHTML+RDFa for the smarty approach.

regards!