Re: Upgraded PHP now website doesn't work properly?

Kaya Saman wrote:

Thanks for that info I do admit that old computers do make the coolest machines especially home servers and when running something like FreeBSD they end up being awsome!

However we were talking about SSH over continents not local LAN! With local LAN you get round 100Mbps unless really old in which case you would get 10Mbps half duplex. This is no way an issue when in such close proximity. I however am round 3500 km's away at the moment from my web server and the internet connection I am getting is really poor as it locks up quite a bit and I end up with failed routes between my PoP (point of presence) server or the countries main gateway.

But what you can do is keep your dev box local, and then use rsync over ssh to publish to the production (or dev) server that is across ocean(s).

I use .devel as my TLD for my dev hosts (IE www.something.devel) but otherwise have the dev box configured identical to the production server, so that if it works on dev box I know it works on production.

Other thing I do, cron job on production dumps the database once a night, cron job on dev fetches it (via rsync over ssh w/ keys) and applies it to dev database so that the dev database is always very close to production database.