Re: Upgraded PHP now website doesn't work properly?

My development box is a Dell Optiplex G50 I found discarded in an illegal trash pile. Hard drive was bad, I had a spare. Heat sink was dislodged, I had thermal paste. CDROM is not reliable, but reliable enough to boot off of a 4MB CentOS boot.iso and network install. Video gives snow, but after install, it's headless so who cares.

It's been problem free for a couple months now (found it a couple months ago). Only thing I had to purchase was a mouse for install - as I don't have a spare and didn't feel like detaching a mouse from an existing computer.

I installed bluefish on it and use bluefish over ssh via x forwarding on my local lan and sometimes have the bluefish window open for days. When I'm ready to publish to live, I simple ssh in and rsync to live. Never had a slowness problem.

It's an old crap computer, ram limit of 512MB (currently has 384 in it), but having the devel box local makes things like X forwarded a GUI text editor cake w/o performance issues.

I use Ubuntu for my desktop, no server crap installed on it, I prefer CentOS for serving - so this a cheap crap local box for devel server is the perfect solution. Since I'm the only user, the low performance of the CPU/Intel i815 chipset really isn't an issue (I think the mobo was swapped at some point, Dell website indicates i810 but it has i815).

Thanks for that info I do admit that old computers do make the coolest machines especially home servers and when running something like FreeBSD they end up being awsome!

However we were talking about SSH over continents not local LAN! With local LAN you get round 100Mbps unless really old in which case you would get 10Mbps half duplex. This is no way an issue when in such close proximity. I however am round 3500 km's away at the moment from my web server and the internet connection I am getting is really poor as it locks up quite a bit and I end up with failed routes between my PoP (point of presence) server or the countries main gateway.